[pct-l] Dogs on trail

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Wed Feb 18 15:53:41 CST 2009

Quite true - Owners of both dogs and pack animals pay taxes. Large pack animals are allowed because the trail was established, designed, and constructed for use by both people and horses.

Access fees paid by commercial packers represent a goodly source of income for the USFS and NPS. Groups such as The Backcountry Horsemen donate thousands of man hours doing volunteer trail maintenance with their horses and mules carrying in heavy gear that would otherwise require a helicopter or a whole lot of human pack mules.

In 18 years, I have yet to see an identifiable dog group working on the trail. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen or that there's not a place for dogs on the trail. I suspect the vast majority of those who take their dog on the trail have a happy experience. Just remember that the owner is responsible for controlling the actions of their animal (horse, mule, dog, llama, whatever) and needs to be aware of, and prepared to deal with, the risks their presence adds to your hike.