[pct-l] When is the best time for someone to join???

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Feb 16 17:32:20 CST 2009

On Feb 16, 2009, at 2:48 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> I was wondering when the best time would be for someone to join hiking
> with me after the High Sierra?
>
> As in when does it get a little safer/easier?

I suggest that starting at Section J it gets a little easier. You go
up to 10,000+ feet and then never go that high again. I suddenly
started doing 27 mile days at that point in the same amount of time I
had been doing 19 in the High Sierra.

But once you are in such good shape it is really hard for anyone to
join you. My boyfriend joined me to hike from Duck Lake to Yosemite
Valley and I ran him ragged, the poor fella. I was used to settling
in for a long hard slog up a big hill and I was used to the altitude.
He struggled to do the 20 mile days I was used to. Also, is your
friend going to be loving the life of hiking dawn to dusk like you'll
be or will you be able to adapt to lots of lolly-gagging about if
that's what they're into?