[pct-l] Wool/Synthetics

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 15 20:53:09 CST 2009

I'm retiring my old nylon Mighty Ducks watchcap beenie and replacing it with
a morino wool watchcap   Very nice, and a little lighter I think. Have to
weigh it.  I got a thin wool base top to try out and it is really warm and
comfortable compared to my old pilly poly T-necks that have mucho years.
I've used military wool glove liners in wet weather and they were a lot
warmer than my thin poly ones that are really trashed after so many seasons
and photo outings, so I'm looking for a thin pair of morino liners.  As for
socks, i've been using wool liners in my mountain boots for many years with
a lot less odor than poly, and never liked silk for anything but my
girlfriend.  For light hiking shoes I still use Smartwool hikers, medium
weight.  They just seem to fit my foot well, and don't smell very much.  The
only thing I don't like about the wool socks is they take a long time to dry
after washing.
I have been using Patagonia's light weight capilene zip top and pants set
for a few years now also and while they are light they aren't as warm and
snug as this new thin wool stuff, and yeah, it gets really ripe after a four
days.  So since I like to hike in shorts and ussually only cary the light
long john set I'm  looking at getting wool long john pants for night time
and early morning since I get up long before sunrise.  Haven't decided yet.
Skeets bite right through the capilene so I am contemplating convertible
shorts/pants and ditch the long johns altogether.  OTOH I've been in some
cold rain sittuations where having something to keep the knees warm is nice,
and wet pants get uncomfortable.  Just thinking outloud...