[pct-l] Wool/Synthetics

jason moores jmmoores at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 15 18:59:28 CST 2009

Episode 20 of the Practical Backpacking podcasts is a talk with Buck Tilton (founder of NOLS Medicine). Two minutes into the podcast Buck goes into some of the pluses and minuses of down/wool/synthetics. A lot of the advice on these podcasts might seem basic, hiking 101, but I find these conversations help to stimulate my thinking. They provide another perspective. Much like this list. Buck's been around hiking for a while and has sound advice.

I don't agree with his take on wool (only recommended for socks) but the conversation is still a good jumping off point. There is also some good advice on insulation and layering 8+ minutes in.

I purchased a Arc'teryx Rhino wool base layer (on sale) as a luxury item for my '09 walk. I find that my wool top regulates my temps, hot or cold, better than any of my synthetic tops. I can also wear the wool top for many more days before becoming skunked out. I'll carry an extra oz or three to minimize the synthetic stink. Though after a week without a shower or laundry does it really matter? I use the shirt primarily for my end of day, dry, sleeping shirt but also as part of the layering system if weather turns bad.

While I've added a wool item, I'm also removing some wool for this trip. I've hiked in Bridgedale wool trekker socks for the past 6 years and have nothing but love for these socks. In the hopes of reducing moisture and blisters I'll be giving Wigwam ironman socks a try. A lighter soc for my lighter footwear. I bought a good supply for wicked cheap on REI's big sale.

Also, I found Ron Moak's (founder of Six Moon Designs) podcast an excellent discussion on his early UL experience plus some good advice on UL equipment use, such as tarptents and poncho.

jason