[pct-l] Tents....I know, I know, beating a dead horse

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 14 23:50:22 CST 2009

Good point Mr Tortoise,
and I hope y'all got the point of my comment about if you are going to carry
it drink it.  It doesn't hurt to have a little extra, or a lot extra, my
point was drink.  being thirsty wont kill you, being dehydrated will, big
difference.  I carry some hard candies for those times when I miscalculated
and have to slog on for a couple hours, which is not to say I went without.
Let me put my comment to my friend in context, and youwill understand why I
thought it pathetic.  She's carrying a filter.  We are hiking the Sierra
high country in late July, so there's water about every five or ten minutes,
sometimes more or less, but constantly available.  She's carrying two lexan
qt Nalgenes full of water all day long and not drinking much.  What do you
see wrong?
Me, I have no filter, and am drinking at what I think are good sources and
carrying a splash to wet my whistle in between.  If questionable source I
treat a whole qt, carry twenty minutes and down most of it ASAP, and
continue on with a splash.  If I get hung out for a few mintues or an hour
without a drink I doubt I'll die, and I can have a little sour candy.
The desert is a different deal, but you still need to drink, and often even
if it's cool.  Drink the dish water everything, just don't use soap.
But just soes you'll know I value the difference, when I hike in the dry
country I carry two military canteens on my hips and four liters in my day
pack if I plan to be out for most of a day, and ussually come back with next
to nothing.  For a half day I carry three or four qts.
So I don't know how far or conditions in which you were to hike to your
evening camp, but if it were uphill and warm and about half  a day I'd want
more than two qts.