[pct-l] Trail Fest/Eagle Creek

ambery-80243 at mypacks.net ambery-80243 at mypacks.net
Sat Feb 14 17:08:50 CST 2009

>What are the hiking opportunities then up to Tunnel Falls on the Eagle
>Creek trail? Is this doable as a day hike from Cascade Locks as a
>day-hike? length?
>

>Tortoise

The Eagle Creek Trail to Tunnel Falls is about a 12 mile round trip from the trailhead, with only about 900 feet of elevation gain.  If you are coming from Portland, it is actually the exit just before Cascade Locks (exit 41).  If you want to start in Cascade Locks, there is a public parking area right under the Bridge of the Gods next to the Charburger as soon as you exit the freeway.  A path leads under the freeway over to the trail, but probably adds a couple miles each way.  If you do the trail, I would recommend going about a half mile past Tunnel Falls to Crossover Falls, just to get the great view of the drainage and back toward Tunnel Falls.
There is plenty of other hiking in the Gorge.  It's a little early to tell what conditions you may encounter.  The place got hammered with wind and snow in December, and currently there is a lot of hard packed snow down to about 2000 or so feet (foot traction devices currently necessary in a lot of areas) and plenty of blowdown.  Across the river on the Washington side there are plenty of trails as well and they seem to have faired a little better.  A lot can change in a month though.
I'd be happy to make some suggestions if you want to contact me off list.  You can also go to www.portlandhikers.org and check their latest trip reports forum for info on local trails and conditions.