[pct-l] A16

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Feb 14 16:13:49 CST 2009

On Feb 14, 2009, at 9:51 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Hi Diane.  If I'm understanding you correctly, the A16 has to just be
> suspended at one point (and draped over you elsewhere)

No, the A16 has a metal hoop like they put in car window shades that
pops open to a freestanding thing.

> What would you do to cover your legs when napping or eating?
My pants and shirt were always good enough to keep mosquitos out.
It's mostly so I can protect my head, neck and hands.

As for eating, I can eat laying on my stomach. I usually did that in
my tent as I wrote in my journal. But now I won't have to set up my
tent to eat dinner. I will feel more free to walk another hour after
I eat if I want because I won't have set up camp just to keep
mosquitos out of my noodles.

I seriously wished I had this thing last year. I met a guy at Lake
Morena who had one and I thought it was the coolest thing. I had no
idea what it was called and searched for months until I found the
right selection of search terms to find the darn thing. I can use it
instead of a tent locally, too. At only 6 oz it sure beats the 1lb
bed-top mosquito tent I got from a travel store.

Really the whole bivy/tarp thing is overkill most of the time. Most
of the time you only need a way to keep bugs out of your nose and
from sucking your blood.

I hope the functionality I describe makes more sense now.