[pct-l] Tents....I know, I know, beating a dead horse

Carl Siechert carlito at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 13:15:11 CST 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com <
diane at santabarbarahikes.com> wrote:

> I don't know why anybody would carry nearly 4lbs of tent when 1lb
> will do the job wonderfully. I carried the Gossamer Gear One tent

You're right; I'm a moron for suggesting something different than you carry.
But you should be realistic in your comparisons. If a maximum weight of 3
pounds 4 ounces for the T1 (which can be trimmed in several ways) is "nearly
4lbs," then you ought to be honest in describing a Gossamer Gear One plus a
bug bivy (or a tarp plus a bivy plus a bug bivy), which comes to something
like 24 ounces (I suppose one might say "nearly 2 pounds"). Rather than a
1:4 weight advantage as you suggest, the real difference is closer to 1:2.

For the difference, you get a double-wall tent, which considerably reduces
condensation issues in Washington. It's roomy enough inside to sit up, to
change clothes, and to sort/organize gear within a bug-proof, waterproof
enclosure. Its bathtub floor makes it easier to keep gear dry.

I'm not dissing tarps or bivies, which work very well for many thru
hikers--just pointing out that UL tents do provide some additional
convenience and comfort for the additional weight, and "why anybody would
carry nearly 4lbs [or 3 lbs] of tent." HYOH.

Cheers,
Carl
1977 Kelty Kid