[pct-l] dogs on the PCT

Julie Flaming julie.flaming at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 03:18:15 CST 2009

Hi, Mara -

I like dogs but a few things things always really bother me:
1) I'm tiptoeing along on a narrow trail with a drop-off and an
off-the-leash dog comes charging toward me barking wildly. One of us is
going to fall a long way. I hope it's not me, I hope it's not the dog. It
would really haunt me if someone's dog got hurt.
2) I don't hike with a dog because I like the peace and quiet of no barking.

3) It really bums me out how many dog owners say "but my dog is a good dog
(as if all the other dogs aren't) and then promptly break all the rules
(like taking a dog into a national park).  This puts the dog in danger,
makes the people who choose to leash (where required) or not bring a pet (to
enjoy the peace) to have to put up with this special pet and to give the
owner their special privileges. I heard the recent stories about having to
call emergency services folks into the Columbia River Gorge to rescue fallen
dogs. Those people are someone's mom or dad or boyfriend or child and they
tend to be big-hearted generous folks who'd walk into the fire for anyone
who needs help. It's not fair to take advantage of them by breaking the
rules.
4) I've read a lot of stuff here about dogs being injured, getting too hot
or cold, or otherwise being harmed on the trail. It's something to take
really seriously. Water's really scarce in the desert.
5) I don't like stepping in dog poop.... especially when I'm a long way from
anywhere to wash it off.  What' the etiquette about poop scooping on the
trail?
6) According to the park rangers I've known in parks with bears (I used to
live in Yellowstone), bears and dogs are a very volatile combo, and bears
may actually be attracted to your camp to tangle with your dog. That's part
of why the parks in question would ban them.

Thanks for asking! I really appreciate the fact that you're thinking about
it before you do it.

Julie

--
"If nothing changes, nothing changes" (unknown)