[pct-l] "buy-as-you-go" strategy and leaving with the pack

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Feb 6 19:21:13 CST 2009

Donna is right. You get really sick of your food. Also, your nuts get
rancid and stale. Better to buy as you go.

But you can do a hybrid. In a town with a good grocery store, stock
up on the hard-to-find items and send a package ahead to somewhere
that doesn't have one. If you shop at K-Mart in Tehachapi, their
groceries come in huge packages. It's too much. So send the extras
ahead. The Data Book has the PO addresses so you're always equipped
with the info.

I resupplied at the local grocery store in Agua Dulce. I didn't
notice it being terribly overpriced. Where I live is overpriced so
maybe I didn't notice.

For what it's worth, I find Trader Joe's to be kind of expensive,
only because you can never get out of there without buying a whole
lot of delicious things you didn't plan. And don't get me started on
Costco. I have yet to see anyone walk out of there for under $200!

I did not attend the event last year and still ended up in the bubble
of people. I think bunching up happens because the window to start
the trek has an optimal time that is only about a month wide. You're
going to hike in a crowd if you choose your start time for
wildflowers and creeks and snow, as I did.