[pct-l] Evolution and Bear Creek crossings questions?

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 5 20:32:41 CST 2009

I use the 15 minute map series by wilderness press.  I think they can be got
from REI (I get mine at Wilson's in Bishop).  I don't care for the 7min
topos. The one that covers the area is the Mt Abbott Quadrangle.  It covers
the PCT from Senger Creek South of Selden Pass and Sally Keyes Lakes north
past Silver Pass and up to Fish Creek. West it has most of FLorence Lake and
Thomas Edison Lake.

 Another alternate I was looking at is instead of taking the switchbacks up
from Blaney hot springs and the Muir Ranch cut off, just follow the trail
that out toFlorence Lake and hike the road over to VVR. It's not all covered
on this map so can't be sure.  On the other hand, the Selden Pass area is
not as high as the southern passes and it is phenominally beautitful and
should not be missed unless absoulutely necesarry.  The only time I didn't
hang out on Selden for a while and ooh and ahh was a couple years ago,and I
was being pelted with marble size hail, and kinda felt like it too.  The
other times I've hung out and made coffee and really super nice.  It just
has a completely different feel than the high rocky southern passes and I
think you'd enjoy it more.  And it's not long after you decend right down
into beautiful hemlock forest.  I wont say anymore as I don't want to spoil
the book for anyone.
And as far as my taking the side route, the intention is two-fold.  I have
cross country experience, am comfortable with it; in fact sometimes prefer
it.  I can't remember last time I actually used a compass in the Sierra, nor
do I remember the last time I carried one.  I have when I thought it
prudent, I just don't remember.  But that's how easy travelling can be off
trail.  Gain a little high ground and you can see where you need to get to.
Look for the path of least resistance or what appears to be; look for
another place to get a view along the way and just start moving in the
general direction, or making the necesarry contour until you can see
something promissing.  Mind that I have a good sense of direction and
understand that sometimes moving slowly is moving more efficiently and
safely, and turning back is always an option in reserve.  Anyway, what I
thought I might do is scout a route and then right it up for future
travellers.  The main concern would deal with difficulty of terrain and
difficulty in finding one's way over it, like bushwhacking, tallus fields,
stay high or go low to the creek etc...  And yeah I'd make some notes using
a compass to get proper bearings passing through any vission blocking
forrest and sort of follow my basic route.  Like I mentioned, I'd be
bringing extra food, coffee and just make an adventure out of it that may or
may not be a good idea.  There is a chance I may be sailing to Hawaii and
change my plans for the long hike north, but in that case I would still be
in the mtns later in the year and would go walk the terrain because I need
to go over Seven Gables Pass again and climb Gemini while there.  Then come
on down cross country and could very easily check out this route I am
concerned with.  You'll all be hiking in SoCal by the time I know for sure
what plans I will eventuate.  But for now I have my pack weight down
to13lbs, and figure to be at 11lbs base without food, fuel, bear management
devise (nothing until VVR) or ice axe.  If I come over the high off trail
passes to get to Seven Gables I'll have to wear my boots gaitors and use the
axe. It's part of the fun; I'll just have my shoes waiting for me at
Vermilion.
OK well that's it from me....