[pct-l] Leg Exercises, etc.

Jonathan Blees Jblees at energy.state.ca.us
Wed Feb 4 13:36:51 CST 2009

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 10:12:48 +0000 (GMT) Richard Bazley wrote:
<snip>
My trainer told me that too many leg exercises is not good for hiking and running <snip>.  However, was I was training for the AT in 2004, I'm sure I was also doing leg extensions and leg curls in addition to the press. ? Was I flirting with disaster?? Or was my trainer wrong and these types of exercises are fine as pre-hike conditionoing.

Regards

St Rick

Wildheart replies:

Dear St Rick,

I'm a not-in-great-shape, not-a-health-professional, 58-year-old section hiker with bad knees (I've had a miniscectomy on each one).  I find leg curls and leg extensions to be crucial for knee comfort as well as for all-around fitness.  Note, however, that I have read and heard from many sources that leg extensions should be done only halfway down (i.e., extend your leg all the way, but lower it only halfway), and my experience suggests that this is good advice (at least for me).  I have also read and heard that leg presses are bad for folks with bad knees, and they hurt when I do them, so I don't do them.  Caveat:  as always, YMMV.

As for the lactic acid building up, I have no idea.

Most important:  have a great hike!
<<<