[pct-l] Evolution Creek Video

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Mon Feb 2 16:24:35 CST 2009

On Feb 2, 2009, at 5:10 PM, Will Hiltz wrote:
> Absolutely true-- the best way is to face upstream.  It might even
> be wise
> to ditch or stow your hiking poles and use a large branch.  Hold it
> out in
> front of you and lean upstream into it using it like a third leg.
> In swift
> moving water it is also advisable to UNDO your hip-belt.

You should also undo your sternum strap and loosen your shoulder
straps a bit
but not enough that your pack load shifts easily.  Wear your shoes.

The key thing to understand with a pack and water is that if you fall
in, it
will act as an *anti*-life-preserver.  The pack will float putting you
on your
stomach and your face in the water.  You need to be able to get out of
your
pack straps ASAP.

Not sure about the branch vs. poles.  I would take my wrists out of
the pole straps so that I didn't get tangled during a fall.  Seems like
the poles are designed to be held and have nice pointy ends to stick
into
the ground.  Extend the poles if necessary.