[pct-l] Evolution Creek Video

Darren talhog at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 2 15:49:00 CST 2009

I have seen several videos now of crossings where hikers are simply
walking across the river with their body essentially perpendicular to
the river. My understand has always been that the safest way to cross
was to face upstream and essentially take small side steps. I guess it
can be either way? Certainly never ever face downstream! The force of
the river will bend your knees. Any one else have any input as to if
it best to cross walking normally or to face upstream (lets assume you
have a full pack on and utilize hiking poles).