[pct-l] Burying food

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 2 10:51:40 CST 2009

Brad wrote:
> With all this talk of bear canisters, is it at all realistic to consider
> digging a little hole and burying a bit of well sealed food every night? I
> was thinking that one could use the bear canister and bury a couple extra
> days worth for a few nights.

I doubt it.

>From a legal perspective, I'm quite sure that wouldn't be considered proper
food storage by the authorities.  Various people care about that to
different extents, but the fact remains that rangers have the ability to
seriously interrupt your hike if they find you in violation, so it's worth
considering.

>From a practical perspective, there are a couple of issues.  One, bears are
decent diggers.  They dig up plant bulbs and rip apart rotten logs like you
wouldn't believe.  They're extremely strong.  Nothing you could pile on top
of a hole would present much of a challenge for a bear.  Two, I've only
spent time in the Yosemite area, but from what I remember there wasn't a lot
of thick soil around for digging large, deep holes.  It's mostly shallow
soil and then lots and lots of granite.  In the areas we're talking about,
I'm skeptical that you could count on digging holes large enough and deep
enough to store food in any meaningful way.  I'm sure someone with more
experience in the Sierra will correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Eric