[pct-l] Creek Crossings

Len Glassner len5742 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 02:32:09 CST 2009

I left KM on June 13 or 14 last year.  Crossed Bear/Evolution both
around 10-11am, and neither were above the knee.

There was another crossing (I'm too lazy to look it up) that Yogi
mentions as the worst for her and that one was below the knee as well.
 I did manage to fall in anyway, slipping off a rock as I was trying
to step up to the far bank.

'Below the knee' not = 'no worries at all'. On any stream crossing,
you can plant your foot in a spot that throws you off balance, and end
up with issues.

I think it was on the way to Glen Pass, encountering the Middle Fork
of Something or Another, that surprised me, as it garnered no special
comments anywhere that I recall.  My initial reaction was 'R U
kidding?', as it looked a somewhat, ah, 'challenging'.  (This was a
bit later in the day than the other crossings.)  Then I looked down at
the ground next to the trail and there was a note that said 'Follow
the river three miles up and the trail will cross back to this side.'
So that's what I did.  And it did.

If this proves to be another low-snow year, the above may be relevant
to setting your expectations for a similar time of year.  If it
doesn't, then it isn't.