[pct-l] Bridge of the gods, prep and danger, etc.

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 2 00:19:45 CST 2009

Is that where the lady or person got washed down stream?  I heard shortly
after June, from a NFS ranger on the JMT north of Bear Creek, that some gal
got washed down stream a short ways, but got out OK.
But I know how stories get changed as they are passed around.  I don't know
'bout anyone else but dealing with 6ft deep water isn't on my list of things
to do.  Does anyone know you can bypass Evolution and Bear Creek by crossing
over to the East side of the Sierra Crest and get back to the JMT just South
of VVR? I can probably think of eight or more variations including trails
and or cross country depending on snow.  One can head up Dusy Branch over
Bishop Pass, take a trail over to the Sabrina North lakes Piute Pass trail
head, take off in the direction of Pine Creek Pass, go over, Ruskie,
Feather, Granite Pass, or any combination of other passes that will lead
into either the Seven Gables lake drainage or Hilgard Branch.  Myself I
would probably go on down Evolution Basin and then take the Darwin Bench cut
off to Lamarck or Alpine Col.  Alpine Col might have too much steep snow in
June, I've only done it in July, but it does drop one down into the Piute
Creek drainage less than a days walk from Pine Creek Pass, and the Italy
Pass trail, which leads to Hilgard Branch.  This is how I'm planning to
traverse that section.  Exactly which route I wont decide for a while.  I've
been over all this terrain, some of it many times.  I use the Mt Hilgard
section 15minute map for most of this area in combination with R.J. Secor's
Peaks, Passes, and Trails book to come up with ideas for some of my travels.
Just looking at maps for others.  But what I'm saying is if you don't mind
leaving the PCT proper, there are some interesting alternatives to those
scary and dangerous crossings that should add only a day or two.  This is an
issue for those travelling with limited food that have to get to VVR.  I
suggest bringing two extra days food anyways even if it wont fit in your
bear device should the creeks turn anyone back.  Myself I am thinking to
enter the Sierra and gain the trail by one of these routes.