[pct-l] Bridge of the gods, prep and danger, etc.

Vic Hanson vichansonperu at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 1 21:55:19 CST 2009

I can't seem to catch up on the postings here, so some of this is old, sorry.

We didn't have to pay to cross the Bridge of the gods in 2006, but I heard of others that did, so maybe it depends on who is on duty there.

Here is a video of us crossing Evolution Creek in 2006, it was on a curve that started out fine but then went to more than 6 feet deep. Thanks to go-Big for going first and discovering that and for taking the movie of us coming across. The reason we weren't saying anything when we reached the other shore was that we were practically frozen! I crossed it four times, the first with my pack in a large garbage bag like Pang in the video, then went back to get my ice axe and trekking poles.

http://www.facebook.com/p.php?i=741285309&k=6W1XYWPSQW3MXFBGPB6TX

It's great if you have all the skills you need before you start the hike but don't let that stop you if you don't. You will learn much on the trail, and others are willing to help. I didn't know navigation using a map and compass before the hike, but I teamed up with others that did and learned a lot. I still wouldn't want to do it on my own under the conditions we were in - we left KM on June 13th (I think) on a very high snow year, but as Elevator said, it was a fabulous experience.

Alcohol stoves - you CAN use them in the cold and high elevations, there is no time that will be a problem on the PCT on a thru-hike. I have used mine in Peru at up to 18,000' and regularly up to 16,500', and at temps of 20 - 30 degrees F. at those elevations, using methanol (same as yellow bottle HEET). It is a little slower starting, ie takes longer to vaporize, and needs more air. I use a combo pot stand/windshield below 15,000' but it doesn't work well above that, so just use and open pot stand with a separate windshield. The same for those sideburners where the pot normally sits directly on top of the stove.

Of course be careful of them in dry conditions, make sure there is nothing flammable near them.

There was quite limited WiFi in 2006, probably more now. There was a coffee shop in Big Bear, hotel in Independence, both free, store in Sierra City (expensive), the trail angels have internet available, but not all had WiFi, most hotels have it, Super 8 is free, as well as others, more librarys are getting it. I bounced my laptop until it got bounced too hard and smashed the moniter!

Got my new Komperdell carbon fiber poles but before I got back here, my sister's dog chewed the grip off of one of them! Does anyone know where I can get it replaced?

I just got a new toy - it is a Garmin GPS 18 USB. It looks like a yo-yo that plugs into the USB port on a laptop and turns it into a travel GPS unit. Comes with a North America road map disk, called n route. Works great but doesn't have the PCT on it! I got it on sale for $50 at buy.com but it is $57 now.

Sugar Daddy