[pct-l] Video from Lunch with Glen Dawson

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Dec 27 00:22:10 CST 2009

Thanks to all of you for coming to the  lunch.  It was unbelievable.  He is
so alert and his 97 year old  memory put us youngsters to shame.  He easily
dropped bombshells on us  about the past and his participation.  You never
saw four guys so intent in  listening to someone talk.

He was on the search for Walter Starr, Jr.  and he climbed the last
unclimbed Sierra 14,000 footer, etc., etc., etc.   We were blown away listening to
him just talk about his outdoor  experiences.  He knew William Colby, John
Muir's secretary (Sierra  Club).  His dad knew John Muir - died 1914.  Glen
was born in  1912.

My wife (the long suffering Mrs. Switchback) had  done a double picture of
Mt. Whitney's east  face and below it the picture of the party he was with
in 1931 (with  Norman Clyde) on top after their first east face accent climb.
 He  signed a plate for each of us to take home.  He kept one for  himself
too.  He took us up to his apartment at the retirement home  and showed us
his climbing journals, books, etc.  Recently, he  was awarded an honorary
Ph.D. for his pioneering  mountaineering.

I left the lunch in a trance.  Living  history I had just experienced and
am still trying to comprehend it  all.  What a fine gentleman and host he
was.  A first class  experience.  I could tell he was very glad we had visited
him and our  appreciation Sierra history.

Cheers, Switchback the Trail Pirate

In a message dated 12/26/2009 8:50:43 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,