[pct-l] water caches

Paul Mitchell bluebrain at bluebrain.ca
Mon Dec 28 02:44:11 CST 2009

> leaving at a time where i know i don`t have "helpers" makes the hike much
more challenging and meaningful. Statistically most p.c.t. hikers can`t make
it without help.i don`t want to join that group.

I feel compelled to point out that a hike is inherently meaningless - it
only has whatever meaning you choose to assign it.

Forgive me if I'm reading too much into your words but it sounds like you
feel some contempt for people who are able to complete the hike thanks to a
little help from their friends or the trail community.

For many, suffering through a dangerous 40 mile waterless stretch
unnecessarily doesn't add any value to the experience, and meeting and
engaging with other hikers (i.e. the pack) adds a lot.  The generosity and
support of others is often one of the most valued parts of the experience
for many hikers.  Those perspectives and those hikes are just as valid,
worthwhile and meaningful as the more difficult or competitive hike that
others prefer.

The water cache debate is an old and tired one.  It's a slippery slope too,
because if you want to start quantifying the impact water-caches have on the
"meaningfulness" of a thru-hike, where do you draw the line?  Fire water
tanks, piped water faucets, springs that are flowing thanks to volunteer
support, the books & collected data that tell you where the water sources
are ... ?  Then the debate can get into trail signage, etc, etc.

I don't mean that to invalidate anyone's desire for a more challenging, less
supported version of the hike experience.  That's a completely valid
personal choice, but if we're feeling that water caches are a form of
support that interfere with the purity of the trail or make it a less
genuine and meaningful challenge, it might help put it in perspective to
remember that the trail is a man-made alteration of nature to begin with.
It can only be walked thanks to constant maintenance and by virtue of that
alone a thru-hike is a supported experience.

Again, I don't mean to challenge your desire to have a cache free hike, but
I'd definitely challenge the idea that any other hiker's hike was less
meaningful because of them.

Cheers,
P178