[pct-l] Resupply strategies - junk vs nutrition

Paul Mitchell bluebrain at bluebrain.ca
Thu Dec 24 11:54:18 CST 2009

> Is this really true? I mean, is there really a huge amount of nutritional
difference between breakfast cereal and fig newtons?  Between crackers with
peanut butter and dehydrated lentils with minute rice?

There's definitely a huge nutritional difference between quality foods and
processed junk.  Breakfast cereal and fig newtons might both fall under the
latter category so that may not be the best example.  Refined sugars,
gluten, processed whites (rice, flour, etc) are just not good for us, on or
off trail.  The closer to unprocessed and organic, the more nutritious and
overall healthier.

The question is whether or not it makes a difference to a thru-hiker, and
that's likely to be a much more individual issue.  My partner, for example,
is fairly severely gluten intolerant, and very susceptible to sugar highs
and crashes.  When she eats poorly it has a big impact on her physical
health and a very noticeable impact on her mood.  We're convinced that
nutrition will make a huge difference for her and will be key to her ability
to enjoy the experience and to finish.

Lots of people do get through just fine on ramen and snickers, and we've all
seen the bags of bulgur and other unappetizing but healthy looking home
mixes in the hiker boxes at Mt Laguna, so clearly a lot of hikers start out
with the intent of eating super healthy and very quickly pull a complete
180.  Maybe their mistake wasn't trying to eat healthy food, it was trying
to eat healthy food that tastes like turd compost.  Nutritious or not, it
had better taste good!  Nothing spoils a day on the trail for me like not
being happy with my food, and nothing lifts my spirits like a really
gratifying meal at the end of the day.  I don't think we need to compromise
nutrition to be happy with what's in our food bag.  We're putting together a
list of pretty healthy snacks and meals that we're pretty excited about.

Bottom line, I personally can't believe that nutrition doesn't make a
difference, at home or out there - maybe even more so out there.  Lots of us
may be able to get from one end of the trail to the other fine fueling
ourselves with whatever junk we put in, but it stands to reason that we'll
have a better chance if we're getting better nutrients from our diet.

Just my two bits.  :-)
P178