[pct-l] Resupply strategies

Bob Vance hikerbob62 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 24 01:34:38 CST 2009

I fully disagree :) with Sean's experience & perspective
I like to resupply en route,for me it works out great.a little back round. i like to eat well,i don`t subsist on an exclusive diet of Lipton dinners and mashed potatoes.i like variety and fresh food,which trail towns provide. i also carry a real stove(msr dragonfly) a 8" frying pan, a backpacking grill,and a small spice kit.this not only gives me great flexabilityfoodwise,but i save a ton of money on restaurant food,and the layoverdays that go along with it.my typical town stop  would consist of hitching(or walking)to town, shopping(1hr if that)lunch in town then a hitch back to the trail,then hiking a few miles farther.for dinner  i would grill some steak,chicken or maybe have spaghetti with sausage.possibly a salad. the variations are endless.the rest of the time,well kielbasa keeps well,i mix it with cajun rice and beans and top it with chopped onions and peppers. bean and cheese burritos.some of the smaller stops might take a little ingenuity,but
 doable. a can(i can hear the ultralighters screams)of chili on top of pasta makes a fine dinner.my strategy was, in big towns i stocked up and in small towns i got enough to get by.