[pct-l] Layering

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Dec 21 20:34:35 CST 2009

Good evening, Steve,

I agree entirely.  There’s an old saying among the ultralite bunch, “On a
cold night if you don’t sleep wearing everything you brought, then you
brought too much.”  That’ll probably tick-off the folks who say they always
carry separate sleeping clothes, or that one should never sleep in anything
sweaty, or anything damp, etc.

I just took a look at the recommended gear list in my first Boy Scout
Handbook -- a 1948 copyright.  Almost all of the items listed are very basic
and realistic -- even today for an ultralite hiker – with one notable
exception:  The list includes pajamas.  Someone’s mother must have been
looking over the editor’s shoulder on that one.  I certainly ignored it, and
in years of outings I don’t recall ever seeing a Scout wearing pajamas.  It’s
possible some of the new guys may have brought them along – probably only
once – but didn’t have the temerity to actually wear them.

That may be just a guy-thing:  The Girl Scouts may have all packed
fuzzy-footie-sleepers, for all I know.

Steel-Eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09