[pct-l] pack weight

Austin Williams austinwilliams123 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 17:41:26 CST 2009

I think the trick to lightweight warm clothes is to use layers and avoid
clothes that are overbuilt.  For my lower body I brought a base layer (Under
Armour thermals), cool layer (my standard hiking shorts), a warmth layer (a
no-frills pair of fleece pants I bought at Ross), and a rainproof layer (a
pair of water-proof windbreaker pants with the cotton lining removed... also
bought at Ross - only 8 oz.).  Total cost: about $70 (and about half of that
went to the expensive Under Armour thermals... I could have went with much
cheaper thermals).

I had the same dort of set up for my upper body.  That, and good warm fleece
balaclava ($4 at the discount store) was all I ever needed.

When I wear all these layers at night I'm plenty warm.  Thats what worked
for me.

So I recommend the following:  Think light, think inexpensive, and think
layers.

If your pair of fleece pants dosen't keep you warm, throw your rain layer
over top of it... though the rain layer is thin and very light weight, it's
windproof and traps all the heat in.
Same with uppers.

Well, good luck!