[pct-l] base pack weight

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Dec 20 22:05:39 CST 2009

After the big three, those little things really add up. After I
swapped out a 3lb pack (empty) for a 1lb pack, I further reduced my
weight by going through every single item and asking, How could I
make this thing lighter? Could I eliminate it? Could I take a smaller
amount of it? I did things like carry a smaller, lighter stove, less
fuel, replaced the lid on my pot with a homemade one at a fraction of
the weight. I liked my cup, but did I really need a cup? I liked my
toiletries, but did I need to carry so much of each item? Could I go
without TP? Did I really need so many layers of clothing? If I didn't
have X, could Y serve in a pinch, and if so, why not leave X home? I
was able to remove a bowling ball's worth of weight (9lbs) over the
previous year by doing this and rarely missed any of it. I also made
prodigious use of the US Mail. I also made some mistakes, but I kept
in mind what Ray Jardine said, which was to just keep moving.