[pct-l] base pack weight

Jim Bravo jimbravo at wildblue.net
Sun Dec 20 20:14:16 CST 2009

I am preparing for a long 2010 PCT hike, and am having a hard time getting my "base pack weight" under 20 pounds. I keep hearing and reading about hikers with 10 or 12 pound packs. These questions keep coming to mind: (1) I am assuming base weight is everything you have in the pack, including the pack, except food, water, and stove fuel. Is this correct? (2) Am I the only hiker with a 20+ pack, or are there other 20-plussers just (wisely) laying low? (I know Mtn Ned digs a 60+ pounder, but I suspect he is in a class of his own, and a lot bigger and stronger than me) (3) Are people accurately reporting their pack weights or is there some margin of error or BS involved? (4) I have a lot of backcountry experience, but not multi-month trips. I suspect I may be taking too much "what if this happens" stuff out of conscious and subconscious fear.

Any advice is appreciated, I am about to ditch a tiny MP3 player and my 5 ounce digital camera (plus the !%*!#%! chargers).

Jim
(JB)