[pct-l] PCT + Mt. Whitney

Stephen Adams reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 20 15:54:21 CST 2009

It might be easier for your pal to meet up from the Cottonwood Lakes area.  Also out of Line Pine via the road to Horseshoe meadows.  They, him, or whoever, might find it easier also to get a backside Whitney permit and can thus join you for a couple days and hike more.  You can also access the area via Shepherd Pass but it's a lot harder hike, and there's a steep, sometimes scary snow patch to cross above Anvil Camp.
However, the Whitney Portal Trail is one of the most beautiful along the eastern approaches, and worth doing even though a crowded popular place.  Another alternative, should Whitney prove to be a hassle, is to meet up in Independence and hike some together over Kearsarge Pass and Glen Passes which are not far apart at all. and probably the easiest passes in the Sierra (depending on snow conditions on Glen).  But there's some pretty neat stuff to see around that whole area and looking down the Charlotte drainage to Charlotte Dome and the western approaches is worth it, as well the whole Rae Lakes area on the North side of Glen...