[pct-l] what does 2 pounds mean

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 21:52:49 CST 2009

Ellen,

Larry is much smarter than I gave him credit for if he was able to convince
you that he should carry the tent and you the food. 8~)

I'd make that trade with any hiker out there in almost any section.  Except
for a last day before a resupply that tent is going to look mighty light.

 The food intake will take care of itself on the trail.  At almost all the
places you are sending packages you will be able to supplement your packages
- and you will supplement whether you plan on it or not. The beauty of this
is your will buy food you would not pack and send to yourself because your
body will crave it.   Some of these cravings will be unusual food choices
for yourself but your body will tell you want it wants and you will listen.
For me it was Ice cream and Corn Chips - both of which I almost never have a
home.  I found I was carrying a little more food out of town as I got
farther North -- this was not planned it just happened.

I find it takes about 4 to 6 weeks for the hiker hunger to kick in, but I
also noticed in kicked in for a second time when I upped my mileage in
Northern CA.

Enjoy the planning and Happy Holidays

Day-Late