[pct-l] So is the PCT more littered?

maxsands at hotmail.com maxsands at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 19 10:32:15 CST 2009

Hello,

First let me start with a seasonal greeting and a Happy New year to our vast trail family.

Several friends (myself included) continue to section hike the PCT. This adventure has been ongoing for several years.

 As a section hiker I get to experience many locations providing access to the backcountry.

When I read about our trail having trash or being trashed, I get a poor mental image of the trail.  This image conflicts with my experience on the trail.

I share the same concerns most of you do about leaving any area better than I found it.

BUT.

In all honesty our trail is beautiful and I hope new hikers do not confuse our desire to keep it that way with a junk laden path.

I would suggest that any hiker leave nothing behind thinking someone might find it and use it. The animals will make quick work at turning it into unsightly trash.   And. Possible pick up a few extra items (of trash) between town stops.  Sometimes things can get left behind when breaking camp.

Enjoy the PCT and welcome to our trail family,

M&L