[pct-l] PCT Barefoot

Paul Mitchell bluebrain at bluebrain.ca
Thu Dec 10 23:15:20 CST 2009

Hi Elevator

Nice to hear from you!  Hope you’re well.  Just to forewarn, this reply got a little long-winded.

I don’t mind the honest opinion.  I certainly understand your concerns, and share them.  My interest in the subject is 100% genuine, certainly not intended to stir things up – though I do recall how easy that is to do on this forum.  ;-)

I came across some info about bare footing and it peaked my interest, particularly once I started reading about the destructive impact of shoes on the feet, knees, etc.  I recalled talk at the Saufleys about a family of hikers that came through barefoot a few years ago.  The initial story I read was about a marathon runner who finally discovered barefoot running solved the knee problems that a couple decades and dozens of pairs of shoes had not resolved.  I met a guy at the MEC here in Vic who knows someone who apparently thru-hiked barefoot.  That and the more detailed reading gave me a feeling that it could be very beneficial, but of course I’m aware the PCT has some serious temperature and terrain extremes that could pose some challenges – so that’s why I’m really wanting to hear from one of the few people who has actually hiked it barefoot.

My body held up more or less fine on my last two attempts.  I didn’t complete the trail each time for various reasons, but they weren’t physical, with the exception of a shin-splint which I believe I invited by running a few miles downhill.  The main change I’ll be making this time around will be to actually start with a schedule in mind and budget time and money.  A few days off for a shin-splint wouldn’t have been a problem if I wasn’t already far behind the pack thanks to costly side-trips a-plenty.  ;-)  Too much fun and indulgence was my downfall both times, and possibly not close enough attention to nutrition.  Oh and pre-hike conditioning, but I digress.

I’ve lowered my weight each time, hiked California happily in sandals last time & that was far better for me than shoes.  I’m not looking to try bare foot hiking to solve a past problem, though my feet have always been flat, it just seems like something that “could” be beneficial – that is, if the specific challenges of the PCT aren’t too much.  I might not have enough time to get my feet “trained” in time for April … or maybe I do, the posters on bare footing forums seem to agree that it only takes a few months to fully strengthen up.  The solution might be a combination of bare footing and minimal foot protection like Vibram FiveFingers.

I’m inclined to think that this is something we might see more off as time goes on.  Maybe it seems a little extreme now, but consider how many other hiking trends which are common now seemed crazy at first.  Or, perhaps the cold, hot, hard and sharp nature of the PCT path is too much.  I’m certainly thinking hard as well about the potential for a barefoot injury to end a hike.   Who knows though, maybe all the stress fractures and other stress injuries that ended other people’s hikes wouldn’t have happened without shoes?  One of the logics behind barefoot hiking is that our feet, when in contact with the grown, give us information that we then use to walk in ways that are healthier.  That’s how we evolved and there’s compelling evidence that those of us that do it now are better off for it.

I’m going on too long, but bottom line is I’m not jumping without looking – not saying I’m going to do it for sure, but there are some compelling arguments that make it an interesting idea.  There’s got to be a barefoot pro out there who can shed some light.  :-)

I’ll dig up some of the interesting articles I’ve read and post them a little later for anyone who is interested.

Cheers,
- Potential178