[pct-l] No Stove

Paul Cronshaw beemancron at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 10 19:29:54 CST 2009

Last summer, I hiked the JMT as part of my PCT section hikes without a stove. Great experience. One less item to fuss with.

I used the solar method of rehydrating food; strapped the ziplock on top of the pack and let the sun "cook" the food.

http://picasaweb.google.com/beemancron/2008PCTSectionHJMT#5229917996991068818

I have used a number of stoves during my backpacking journeys: Whisperlite, Svea, Pocket Rocket. All good systems. My latest upgrade is to the Tri-ti Caldera system from Trail Designs. Lightweight and compact (slides 14 and 15).

http://picasaweb.google.com/beemancron/LightweightBackpackingPresentation#5384809126002390962

This multifuel system has many benefits to fit a variety of trail situations and menus.

FWIW I tried the "crotch" cooking method but it was not as effective as solar cooking: plus it created a gross factor with fellow hikers.

The Beeman