[pct-l] Stove canisters

Postholer public at postholer.com
Wed Dec 9 11:40:40 CST 2009

As a devout Esbit user, you'll find these problems don't exist. You can ship
ground, not air. I kept all my fuel, 120 tabs, in my bounce box. It was
always there when I needed it. I'd carry about 10 at a time. At 50 cents
each, $60 dollars easily covers the entire trip, compared to $20 for
alcohol.

 If you're doing simple cooking, hot water, rehydrating, etc, it can't be
beat. The stove (3.25 oz) with 5 fuel tabs weigh 6 oz.

For more elaborate cooking I understand canister stoves are the way to go.

If you're a pyromanic and like walking through charred moonscape-esque
landscape, by all means carry a pepsi-can alcohol stove. While you might be
an icon of safety with an alcohol stove, I PROMISE the hiker next you may
not be. No stove has done more damage to the forests along the PCT than the
home made alcohol stoves.

In the west where fire season is 365 days, alocohol stoves are a trend that
need to just go away.

-postholer

It is my understanding that the folks who control the shipping rules have
made it illegal to ship yourself - via USPS or UPS or others - stove
canisters.  My experience is that they are quite limited in finding in
stores along the trail. For those contemplating using a Jet Boil or other
canister stove on the PCT, where can the canisters be purchased?

Trail Journals, Google Trail Maps, Forums: http://postholer.com
Pacific Crest Trail Photo Atlas: http://postholer.com/photoAtlas.php