[pct-l] sleeping with your food everywhere except in the Sierra

Stephen Adams reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 6 23:29:09 CST 2009

I can relate to that comment about hanging food, and I'm good at it.  But I always got that weird feeling seeing my food bags swinging silently in the nearly dark night, and there was always that nervous moment in the dawn going to get 'em, and "phew", cool no problems.  I've only hung food down in the trees, and while I normally camp off trail and above tree line, and have never had a food issue, I am not so sure anymore.  Thus I got the Ursack as a compromise.  I've seen so much string and parachute type cords hanging from trees over the years, and so many poorly hung food bags along the JMT and other areas that I can completely understand that the bears have by now been fully trained at getting food hangs from just about anywhere, and can now show their young.  Bears will take your freaking pack too 'cause it has had food in it for a long period of time and is probably permeated with good smelling stuff.  I know my pack will trend towards coffee, peanut butter and cinnamon raisin bagels.  So my pack gets set up next to me with the pot and lid with the hiking poles staked atop that as a sort of alarm for me and deterrent to drag it off.