[pct-l] Water Filters

David Ellzey david at xpletive.com
Sun Dec 6 14:20:23 CST 2009

We too carried a filter and Aqua Mira in SoCal then switched to Auqa Mira only through the Sierras. Because we hiked as a couple it made sense for us to use the Platypus Clean Stream that Patti wrote about.

We left the border with my old pump filter but switched to the gravity filter at Scissors Crossings. I even got to try out Patti's new Katadyn Hiker Pro at the Sunrise Trail tank but decided one pump it too slow and 2 pumps too heavy. The Clean Stream filters really fast and we use the filter bags as extra water storage for the longer dry sections.

We keep Aqua Mira on hand (1) in case the water looks too skanky to trust even after filtering or (2) we need to sterilize the filter bags in the field.

BigToe