[pct-l] Tent Idea on Ebay

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 08:29:12 CST 2009

In terms of the particular tent you saw on eBay Mariann, I believe it's the
Appy Trails Mark III model.  If you want that tent, I'd skip eBay and buy it
direct from the manufacturer for the same $100 price, at
http://www.appytrails.com/ --- maybe the eBay seller is the same company,
dunno, but I'd personally rather know that I'm dealing directly with the
manufacturer given that the price is the same.

Three reviews on this tent can be find via backpackgeartest.org,
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tarps%20and%20Bivys/Appy%20Trails%20Mark%20III%20Tent/

For bugs, some sort of netting could either be added, or a net tent approach
could be used similar to SMD (six moon designs) net tents, currently just
the Serenity, soon to add the Vamp and Haven.  In fact, if it's a 2-person
shelter along this line that you want, the new SMD Vamp might be a great
choice, though the combined cost of tent plus inner net tent will surely be
a lot more than $100 (price not established yet).

If you're willing to do a little sewing, adding some netting along the
perimetry of the Appy Trails tent might work out for you as a reasonably
priced alternative, similar to the way SMD modified a Gatewood Cape by
adding netting along the floor for that shelter to make their Wild Oasis
model:
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=48  (hover your mouse over
the picture to see an alternate view).

Best of luck with whatever you get ---