[pct-l] OR/CA

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Fri Dec 4 23:01:56 CST 2009

On Dec 4, 2009, at 11:43 PM, Nathan Miller wrote:
>  I suspect that when "all" those Californians started migrating to Oregon, there were still a lot of Oregonians holding on to bits of the frontier mentality and felt threatened and afraid that Californians were going to move into Oregon and bring their Californian attitudes and wind up turning Oregon into an extension of northern California, as it were.

One of the more interesting things I learned hiking the PCT is that there is/was a secessionist movement in southern Oregon and northern California.  It is most obvious around Etna and Seid Valley.  In fact "State of Jefferson" is painted on the side of the post office in Seid Valley.  You can see it in this photo if you blow it up:

<http://achillespct.wordpress.com/2007/07/26/mile-1662-seiad-valley-ca/>

A newspaper in the area, The Pioneer Press, calls itself the Official Newspaper of the State of Jefferson.

For more info: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Jefferson>

Gary Wright (Radar)