[pct-l] OR/CA

Nathan Miller erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 4 22:43:29 CST 2009

Firstly, I suspect this person would have reacted like that regardless of whence you hailed.  You could even have been from a different part of Oregon.  All that would have mattered would have been that you weren't from western Oregon.  Some people are just easily bent out of shape.
Secondly, Californians have had somewhat of a bad reputation in Oregon.  This is due to the influx of people from the LA and Bay Areas moving to parts of the Willamette Valley, fueling suburban expansion and runaway development and not knowing how to drive in the rain.  The scale of this is probably exaggerated, but there still exists somewhat of a rivalry between our two states.  I suspect that when "all" those Californians started migrating to Oregon, there were still a lot of Oregonians holding on to bits of the frontier mentality and felt threatened and afraid that Californians were going to move into Oregon and bring their Californian attitudes and wind up turning Oregon into an extension of northern California, as it were.  What really happened, and continues to happen, is that while immigrants to Oregon -- whether from CA or elsewhere -- do change Oregon, Oregon also changes them.

-Nate the Trail Zombie

When you know where the trail goes
It doesn't matter if you're fast or slow