[pct-l] Hiking without the guide book??

Ellen Shopes igellen at comcast.net
Thu Dec 3 04:52:17 CST 2009

If you-all need to grumble about the maps and source info for the PCT, you
should check out the AZT.  I've only gotten thru about 300 miles of it so
far, but my husband classes it as more of a route than a trail.
When we hike it, I take the guide book, the AZT website trail description, a
compass, and a GPS.  Even so, the amount of misdirection is incredible!  A
few weeks ago we followed AZT trail markers down a wrong trail (silly me,
thinking that the markers would be on the correct trail!).  When the trail
we were on dead-ended, we spent an additional 2 hours trying to figure out
where we went wrong.  Mr. GPS said the trail clearly was 'way over there',
but to get there, we ended up backtracking to a mismarked turn and climbing
a hill to an unmarked trail that was eventually marked with AZT signs miles
later.
(Sorry, weeks later I find I still need to vent!)
Elderly Ellen