[pct-l] Hiking without the guide book??

Postholer public at postholer.com
Tue Dec 1 16:02:10 CST 2009

Gary Wright's:
> I'm a big fan of HYOH but I don't have a problem shaming hikers who
> don't carry a map. I wish I had a snickers bar for  every time a map-
> skeptic asked to see my map or answer a map related question.

Of course you'll need the guidebook maps. Going mapless is a bad strategy.
Why would you imply that folks should consider going mapless? That's just
irresponsible.

Ben Go's databook, which is a condensed form of the guidebook mileages, is
what you'll rely on mostly. Heck, where do you think Yogi got her mileage
data? The maps are for those few and far between confusing areas.

Also you can purchase the 3 guidebooks and the databook at Pacific Crest
Trail Assoc. http://www.pcta.org The proceeds go towards supporting the
trail you're hiking and not in someone's wallet.

If you're on the cheap, get them at amazon. The guidebooks are plenty
sufficient for hiking the PCT, if anyone claims they're not, you'd better
check that persons agenda.

-postholer

Trail Journals, Google Trail Maps, Forums: http://postholer.com
Pacific Crest Trail Photo Atlas: http://postholer.com/photoAtlas.php