[pct-l] Mosquitoes

Carl Siechert carlito at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 18:25:48 CDT 2009

How bad? We actually considered quitting in southern Oregon because of the
mosquitoes. We would flail our arms and literally run down the trail to try
to avoid them. One night in the Sky Lakes wilderness it was very warm--too
warm to be in a sleeping bag--and there was no place big enough to put up
our tent. So we endured the inglorious basterds buzzing in our ears,
alighting, and biting throughout a sleepless night.

Even with head nets, the buzzing in our ears and the inability to eat in
comfort made us scream more than a few times.

Quantify it? I dunno. Probably fewer than a dozen days/nights when we were
right in the thick of 'em. But, man, those days were awful.