[pct-l] Canadian border permit

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Aug 3 07:56:23 CDT 2009

Good morning, Doug,

Canada has laws we must obey, and administrative guidelines within which we
must operate.  I can’t speak for them, but from experience I have found
Immigration Canada and the RCMP to be very courteous, cooperative, helpful,
and forbearing with the PCT hiker-trash that crosses the border.  It’s
required that hikers have the signed form in their possession when they
enter via the trail – and I believe the vast majority of hikers do -- but
there are no officials at the border, and I’ve never been checked at E.C.
Manning Park – or anywhere else for that matter.  The paperwork stated to
stop at the RCMP office at Hope, BC to have the permit inspected and
stamped.  I did, and apparently some other hikers do so also.

The paperwork further stated that the permit must be surrendered at the
Immigration Canada border control office when leaving the country.  That I
also did at Blaine, however stopping at the exit-side of Canada border
control is not required when leaving the country, and U.S. ICE isn’t
interested in a Canada entry permit.  When I stopped and surrendered my
permit as specified, the Immigration Canada officials thanked me and said
that’s the first one they had ever seen.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

 http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

 http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09