[pct-l] Hat Creek Rim and Lost Creek

Colby Gutierrez-Kraybill colby at kraybill.com
Thu Apr 30 02:03:03 CDT 2009

Howdie,

The ~26 miles of the PCT that includes the Hat Creek Rim seems to be
infamous for a lack of water.  I find this rather confusing as there
is a natural spring (Lost Creek) within ~700ft (~400ft of height) of
the trail.  Lost Creek feeds two PG&E power houses and appears to be
thousands of gallons per minute.  However, it is ~6mi from Old
station, so, that leaves another ~20mi to Crystal and Brown Lakes.

Am I missing something?  Not drinkable?  Too many boulders?

- Colby