[pct-l] Garmin GPS maps with PCT shown?

Ken Powers ken at gottawalk.com
Fri Apr 24 17:52:49 CDT 2009

Be wary of any maps that show the PCT on them. Unless they map is
specifically for the PCT the trail will not be drawn closely enough to hike
by and the trail may have been rerouted since the map was drawn. I also
found that different scales of maps show the trail in different locations.

I have been working with gps traces for several long trails and have come to
the conclusion that current gps's cannot hold enough data to show the trail
details well enough to hike with. The only exception is if you can draw a
shape and load it onto your gps. I haven't done that yet, but we met a
pct2007 hiker who had done that.

I have been able to load several hundred miles of gps tracks onto my Garmin
60csx with good detail. But before you reach the end of the track you need
to find another computer to load the next piece of the trail onto the gps.

As far as loading maps - get a gps that has a micro-sd card. You can load
maps for the whole USA onto one card. The gpx will load the maps from the
card when turned on. You'll still have plenty of room to save tracks and
lots more.

Ken
www GottaWalk com