[pct-l] Bear can loan program

Vic Hanson vichansonperu at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 10 13:31:28 CDT 2009

"In 2007, 13 bear canisters were loaned out ('free' except for return shipping) to nobo PCT thru-hikers...
In 2008, 20 bear canisters were loaned out, plus an additional 6 through a "one-on-one" loan...
Unfortunately some canisters have been 'lost' either in return shipping or due to damage...
Looking
to increase the bear canister 'inventory' for the 2009 season and
beyond (or at least get back to the previous '08 quantity)...
More bear canister donations would be greatly appreciated...
If requested, I will gladly explain the 'program' in further detail and answer any of your questions...

Thank you! Happy hiking and... Happy trails!!!
Jim / PITA"

Hi Jim,

Sounds to me like there is a problem with the loan program, or at least with those using it. Are they getting damaged in shipment in while in use? By bears or the user? About the "lost" ones, maybe they should be sent certified or insured so the program can continue. I would be very hesitant to loan mine out with that kind of a loss to use ratio!

BTW, mine is loaned out this year to a '06 PCT Thru who is doing the JMT this summer.

Sugar Daddy