[pct-l] Off the beaten path

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Thu Apr 9 14:49:50 CDT 2009

Giggles,
While in the Sierra, on the JMT-PCT section, you should of course consider bagging Mt. Whitney,
14,494 and Mt. Langley, 14,027 just south of Whitney and west of Rock Creek.
The Sixty Lake Basin just east of Rae Lakes is well worth seeing.
And Banner, 12,936 and Ritter, 13143 and the Minarets towering over Garnet & Thousand Island
Lakes are some of the most sparkling jewels of the Sierra and are definitely worth exploring.
You should also consider camping at Rae, Garnet, and Thousand Island Lakes, for they are truly
some of the most beautiful lakes in the Sierra.
Enjoy your hike and savor the Sierra....truly one of the most beautiful & spectacular mountain
range in the world.

JMT Reinhold
Another hiker wrote:
Bag the highest peaks in the three ranges in SoCal- the three saints
Section B
San Jacinto 10486ft----- 6 or so miles off the PCT - easiest and most maintained from Saddle Junction ---- even hike over the the Palm Springs Tram
Section C
San Gorgonio 11585ft ----- dirt road walk to Fish Creek TH and then summit on maintained trail from there.  Highest in SoCal 8 miles from fish creek
Section D
San Antonio (Mt Baldy) 10064ft- before Acorn Trail to Wrightwood take the Devils Back Bone Trail - over Pine and Dawson Mountains and up Mt Baldy.   Some up and down saddles between peaks and very steep.  In some spots some severe drop offs of 1000 ft while walking on the spinte  Trail is not maintained anymore but is fairly well marked when not snow covered. About 6 miles and 5000 ft gain from PCT and by far my favorite way to the top.

All three of these