[pct-l] Night hiking and rodents in food, p.s.

mark v allemande6 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 3 02:08:43 CDT 2009

Even a minimalist pack will make it hard for the lion  to reach the back of your neck area.  Are you going to walk around with the knife, gun, or pepper spray out and at the ready?  That's an accident waiting to happen, all for the sake of being ready for an astronomically rare occurrence:  a mountain lion pouncing on a backpacker.

Trekking poles are a help to some extent, and making yourself big when encountered.  Beyond that, if you're in an area you deem to be that much of a mountain lion risk area (which the PCT won't be), just don't night hike alone.

Call me a liberal, urban scaredy-bear, but hiking around at night by yourself with a loaded gun, or a pulled knife is stupid.

On a friendlier note, even though i've never heard of anyone first-hand who's encountered a mountain lion on the PCT, somebody said last year that the most common place to see them on the trail is the Marble Mountains in NoCal.  Can anyone confirm this as true?