[pct-l] Night hiking and rodents in food, p.s.

Josh 559josh at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 01:49:24 CDT 2009

Mark,
And once the mountain lion pounces on U and its 1st attempt is foiled by the
pack, what is your defense in the pitch-black darkness of the mountains cuz
he's sure not gonna run-off just cuz UR not dead yet???  I mean, seriously,
if UR night-hiking, U prob have a minimalist pack, so 4 to 11oz would be a
tiny weight for the safety.  Maybe if UR hiking in a small group, something
like pepper spray or a gun would be unnecessary, but solo or hiking in a
pair, I'd recommend SOMETHING...a knife is almost ALWAYS a good thing to
carry with U anyways.

Mountain lions might be rare, but they are dangerous enough in the daytime
when a rock or stick or something could be easily located to fight one off
if it came to that, but in the darkness it's difficult enough to keep a
steady footing & stay on the path...but to fight-off a lion?  I think not.
Let's say one was hiking in bear country where bears might be in contact
with people from time to time so that they're not (as someone recently said)
a Scaredy-bear...''

All I'm saying is that I wouldn't go night-hiking without AT LEAST a
knife...but others might be more comfortable with a bottle of pepper-spray
or a gun.

Josh