[pct-l] night hiking in the desert

Nia Schmald nschmald1 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 2 20:07:30 CDT 2009

Hi Folks,

I'm a late entry into the class of '09.  Looking forward to meeting as
many of you as possible on the trail.  I've got a fair amount of
experience hiking in the sierras but very little in the desert.

A was reading a journal that said many were hiking through the night to
avoid the heat.  I was planning on a siesta and hiking at twilight.  But
hadn't really considered the need for hiking many hours in the dark.
So is this what most people do?  If so how well is the trail marked in
these areas.  I was planning on taking only a photon rex, which can be
bright enough for night hiking on well marked trails, but only has
enough battery power to do that for a couple hours.  Are most people
taking larger headlamps for hiking through the night?

Anything else I should be aware of in the desert, besides keeping well
hydrated?

Thanks for your help,
nia (aka giggles)