[pct-l] Online journalling questions

Halfmile halfmile at pctmap.net
Thu Apr 2 17:34:03 CDT 2009

Tamsin,
I recently switched to an iPhone, but used a Blackberry for several
years and I think the Blackberry is excellent for journaling.

I have compiled cell phone reports that you can see here:
http://www.pctmap.net/cell/index.html
These will give you a pretty good idea of where you can expect cell
phone coverage on the PCT. Feel free to send me updated cell phone
information as you hike.

It is possible to upload photos taken with a digital camera using a
Blackberry if you have a microSD to SD card adapter (assuming your
camera uses SD memory cards).
1) Insert the microSD card into the adapter and place that in your
camera, then take your picture.
2) Remove the microSD card and insert it in the Blackberry.
3) Attach the picture to an email.

This works on a Blackberry 8800 anyway. Not all that convenient since
you have to take the back off the phone and mess with the tiny memory
card, but it will work. Also you may want to adjust your camera
settings to increase the compression of your photos so they will
transmit faster.

-Halfmile