[pct-l] Online journalling questions

Tamsin McMahon tamsinrm at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 2 15:43:38 CDT 2009

Hi folks,

I've been given the opportunity to blog about my thru-hike for a newspaper here in Canada. We're trying to decide how often I'll be able to update the blog from the trail.

I'm getting set up with an AT&T data plan and planning to use a Blackberry (Curve 8310). It seems that AT&T gets the best service from the trail.

I'm a bit of a luddite. I got my first cellphone about a year ago. I
I had a few questions for those who kept an online trail journal. I don't want to give this newspaper unrealistic expectations about how often I can provide updates. I know I definitely can't do it every day, but maybe a few times a week?

Here are my questions for those who can help:

*How often were you able to update your journal from the trail or from towns? (not including updates that were written on paper and mailed to someone to transcribe.)

*What was the longest period you went between journal posts?

*What might be the longest period I would encounter with no cellphone signal, nor access to the Internet? (in towns, etc.)  (I have seen the cellphone signal reports)

* Were you able to upload photos to your journals from the trail and if so, how could you do this? (I am bringing a digital camera.)

*Can someone point me to a journal that has photos taken by a smartphone or Blackberry?

Cheers,
Tamsin